Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Data analysis - behavioral engagement scores

Analysis of my data proved overwhelming at first but after a few false starts I have waded through. So what did I come up with? 

For the behavioral engagement scores I viewed the videos and scored each student's behavior for every 30 second interval per my rubric. In addition to finding the mean - which showed students on average were engaged in the lessons - I also looked at the min and max for each lesson to see what specifically was going on during those times. I found that the highest levels of engagement came when I was being dramatic in telling the story (using silly voices and sound effects) and when students were asked to be dramatic (pretending to be ill while sing Head, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes.)

Table 1


Behavioral Engagement Scores

Mean
Min
Max
SD
Storytelling lesson
2.96
2.60
3.40
0.18
TPR & Song lesson
3.08
2.86
3.46
0.18


I ran a paired samples t-Test to see if there was a difference between the two lessons and found that there was no significant difference in the scores for the storytelling lesson (M=2.96, SD=.018) and the TPR & song lesson (M=3.08, SD=0.18) conditions; t(14)=-1.52, p>.05.

No comments:

Post a Comment